‘Trump may not be good for America, but he’s damn good for CBS'
Leslie Moonves, CEO of the CBS Corporation (Annual media revenues: $9.57 billion)

2016 showed the toxic power of a media that only chases clicks and profit margins.

openDemocracy is different. We don’t have billionaire proprietors or lucrative advertising deals. 

We give voice to the powerless, take on the world’s bullies and host sensitive, intelligent debate. 

This year we will:

  • –  Launch a major Europe-wide investigation into press freedom

  • –  Bring together some of the world’s most creative activists and thinkers to reinvigorate democracy 

  • –  Fight back against censorship in Turkey

  • –  Expose fake news in Russia AND the US

… And much, much more.

But without big sponsors, subscriptions or oligarch patrons, we need your support to make all this happen. Join us below.  

  Donate securely

The Open Trust are fundraising for openDemocracy's Take Back Our Media campaign, all donations made here to the Open Trust will be restricted to this campaign.


every month
Your recurring contribution will be processed automatically. You will receive an email receipt for each recurring contribution.
Gift Aid

Gift Aid it - boost your donation by 25p for every £1 you donate.

If you are a UK taxpayer, the Open Trust can reclaim Gift Aid from the tax you pay in each tax year.


By selecting yes you are confirming that you are a UK taxpayer and understand that if you pay less Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax than the amount of Gift Aid claimed on all your donations in that tax year it is your responsibility to pay any difference.

Please email opentrust.finance@opendemocracy.net if you want to change this declaration, change your name or home address or no longer pay sufficient tax on your income and/or capital gains. If you pay Income Tax at the higher or additional rate and want to receive the additional tax relief due to you, you must include all your Gift Aid donations on your Self-Assessment tax return or ask HM Revenue and Customs to adjust your tax code. More about Gift Aid.