Why advertise with openDemocracy?
openDemocracy is a unique public service on the web that acts as a counter to the corporate media, championing human rights and seeking out and debating new forms of democratic change.
We have a loyal, returning audience and our growth in readership demonstrates the value that increasing numbers find in what we publish. In the first half of 2018 an average of 454,000 users came to openDemocracy each month, with a core readership of more than 86,000 returning users per month.
Our readers are knowledgeable and discerning. Our 2013 reader survey found that over 50% have a postgraduate degree and around 25% work in academia. They are also ‘influencers’: 33% describe themselves as activists; nearly 25% are journalists or writers; 18% say their work is about influencing policy-making and 6.5% are directly involved in the drafting of policy.
Our readers' geographical split is 27% UK, 29% northern America and 18% Europe other than the UK.
What kind of advertising works in openDemocracy?
In the past year we’ve welcomed advertising from:
- Academic institutions
- Think tanks
- Human rights organisations
- Book publishers (particularly those publishing in politics and international affairs)
- Campaigning organisations (including those advocating for social justice, the environment, peace and international understanding)
- Voluntary organisations
- Organisations working in international development
With the strongly academic nature of our readership, openDemocracy is an ideal place to advertise academic courses, conferences and events. Given that many of our readers are influencers and activists we’re also a good venue for promoting progressive campaigns and causes.
How can you advertise in openDemocracy?
We offer two main routes for advertising:
- eNews: the openDemocracy newsletter, which is delivered by email to over 20,000 readers each day, contains the latest articles and a space for text-based advertisements of around 50 words in length.
- Banner advertising: We can offer site-wide banner advertising (728 x 90) above articles and a right column advertising space (300 x 250) on homepages, section pages and debate pages. This kind of advertising can be geographically targeted and we can provide you with click through rates after your campaign has finished.
Advertising rates and contact information
Rates for banner advertising for both the right hand column (300 x 250) and space above articles (728 x 90) start at £20 per 1,000 impressions. Files for banner advertising should be provided at these dimensions in either gif, jpg, jpeg or png format, with Swf Flash and Shockwave animations also acceptable.
eNews advertising is typically priced at £250 per week in the openDemocracy Daily Newsletter. eNews adverts are 50 words of text with relevant links.
To find out more above advertising, get in touch with Michael York on firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re also keen to form editorial collaborations with like-minded partners producing content of interest to openDemocracy. Shorter-term editorial partnerships may be anchored by an event, conference or symposium you are holding, with openDemocracy providing the platform for introducing the material arising from this event to a wider audience. Longer-term partnerships are more strategic arrangements, in which we help you build an audience for your project.
For more information about editorial partnerships please contact email@example.com.