This the third section of Media Reform's recommendations. The first section is on Ethics; the second is on Public Interest.
Funding the news we need
29. Extend VAT exemptions to cover digital advertising and sales but only on condition that the recipients make a specific commitment to support any new regulatory body and public interest news ventures.
30. Insist that public support is provided only to institutions which can prove that they are accountable to the public that helps sustain them.
31. Investigate ways in which to make sure that news aggregators pay their way in the distribution of original news content including suitable compensation for freelancers.
32. Introduce levies on turnover or profits of communications companies to help sustain new and existing public-service oriented news projects.
33. Amend charity law so that local newspapers may be operated as charitable organisations.
34. Introduce tax incentives for community groups and co-operative bodies to fund takeovers and investment and to facilitate transfers.
35. Increase the Community Radio Fund to a level that has significant impact as a lever for other investment and as a driver of quality hyperlocal news and informational content.
36. Introduce matched funding of local authority spending on communications and advertising to support local news hubs.
Get our weekly email