openDemocracy Russia is an online journal and think tank, publishing articles daily on a wide range of issues affecting Russia and beyond. We are currently looking for an editorial intern to support editor Oliver Carroll and the wider oDRussia team in the day-to-day running of the website.
The editorial intern will primarily focus on:
- sub-editing/proof-reading (in English)
- publishing articles and picture editing
- some supervised article/debate commissioning (in English and Russian)
- developing the oDRussia online community through social media
- supporting the Editor in fundraising efforts
- assistance in preparing occasional offline discussion events
The position is at times demanding — creative and technical — but will be highly rewarding to the right, innovative individual.
We are looking for a combination of qualities for this broad and varied role:
- Relevant degree or equivalent work experience
- Fluency in Russian
- Understanding of the politics, economy, culture of Russia and the former Soviet Union
- Understanding of oDRussia’s core values
- Higher level degree
- Experience of editing, publishing or media
- Experience in marketing, fundraising and/or social media tools
- Translation skills
- Interest/experience in visual journalism (design, infographics, photoediting)
The position will be part-time (2.5 working days per week) and based in our offices in Dalston, London. It will last an initial six months, subject to a two month probationary period. Applicants must have the right to work in the UK legally.
How to apply: Send a CV and a brief cover note (max 1 page) outlining your relevant skills, experience and ambitions to: Oliver Carroll at [email protected]
Get our weekly email
CommentsWe encourage anyone to comment, please consult the oD commenting guidelines if you have any questions.