About the project
openDemocracy is an independent, not-for-profit, global media platform whose mission is to challenge power and inspire change through tenacious reporting, thoughtful analysis and democratic debate.
Arab Awakening is a space dedicated to pluralist debate in a context of scholarly expertise, on an independent global platform, for talented young Arabs and Africans in the MENA region.
About the role
The purpose of the role is to editorially lead and manage the Arab Awakening project in meeting publishing, partnership, engagement and social media goals. This is a part time role, working three days per week on a six month contract.
The main responsibilities are:
- - Commission, edit, write and publish high quality online articles and other formats of content, in English and Arabic, for the Arab Awakening project, to include managing available commissioning budgets.
- - Manage the curation and design/layout of the Arab Awakening section and pages.
- - Build the audience for Arab Awakening in the MENA region and globally, through social media, network cultivation, outreach and other engagement strategies.
- - Working with the Commissioning Editor, manage the Middle East Forum project to meet the project’s objectives and achieve positive outcomes for the funder.
- - Propose ideas, strategy and supporting narrative for the future expansion of MEF project and the section.
- - Contribute to grant reports and fundraising applications and activity as required.
- - Manage communications with authors, regular contributors, funders and partners.
- - Leadership in setting and maintaining editorial standards, from house style to high-quality editing.
- - Mentoring and line-managing the Commissioning Editor.
For more information on the role please see the Job Description.
Who are we looking for?
We need someone who is passionate about good communication and its potential to change the world. You must be fluent in English and Arabic, able to write and edit to high standards in both languages and have at least 2 years’ experience of editing, commissioning and managing editorial production processes.
For the full person specification please see the Job Description.
Please send a covering letter outlining how you are suitable for the role and a brief CV to [email protected]
Application deadline: Tuesday 16th August 2016 at 10 am (BST)